Saturday, May 28, 2011

WAYANS BROS. COMEDY CONCERTO

I’m a child of the 90’s. I grew up with some of the greatest shows ever, and one of these shows is a part of my top 5 All Time; In Living Color. It’s been about 15 years since In Living Color has been off the air and we’re still able to see members of the cast today. I feel like I’ve somewhat grown up with the Wayans family; Keenan, Damon, Kim, Shawn, and Marlon.

I was ecstatic when I found out Shawn and Marlon Wayans was going to be coming down to Maui for a comedy show. I love comedy. Laughing is literally my biggest drug. It’s a way I’m able to escape all the madness in my world. The last comedy show I attended was the Gabriel Iglesias show which I totally loved. So it goes without saying, I literally counted down the days ‘til the Wayans’ would have me in stitches.

Anabelle and I arrived at the MACC extra early so we could eat, she could drink, and we were able to enjoy the pre show festivities. We ate at the new café the MACC recently built and boy oh boy the food was good. Both of us had the meatloaf which came with steamed veggies and potatoes au gratin. Anabelle enjoyed her cocktail as I stayed loyal to my diet Pepsi.

After our meal, we were on our way into the venue. I had purchased the meet and greet for an additional $30 each so we collected our passes. I think it was Anabelle’s first time having a behind the scenes pass so she was on cloud 9. We both made our way up to the 2nd floor mezzanine where we stopped to take pictures of each other; we both acted like little kids because of the excitement. After a 15 minute photo session, we made our way to our seats, which we absolutely loved.

The emcee of our show was Wil Sylvince. Right from the start, he had us in stitches with his chocolate pocket jokes. The first stand up was none other than Damon Wayans Jr. He was awesome. It was nice to see the next generation of Wayans carrying the torch of comedic genius into the future. The show, more or less was a family affair.

Next on the mic was my favorite Wayans, Marlon. I really liked his set. There are some comedians that touch on subjects that though I’m not all that into, they’re able to make it funny. Marlon Wayans on the other hand was able to take a lot of things that I’m into like basketball and its players, both past and present and make it hilarious. He had a bit where he really laid it into some iconic figures of sports and though it was a bit cruel, believe me, it was still really funny. =) I’ve been following Marlon Wayans from way back when he was able to tell time from the Rolex on his ankle on Mo’ Money so it was amazing to see a near childhood hero live and in living color (pun intended) before me.

Shawn Wayans closed the evening out with his bit that was also a classic. Considering it’s only been the last 2 years or so that I’ve been going to comedy concerts, I’ve learned that each comic has his own way to tell a joke. With Shawn, he has a niche where he tells you an entire story before hitting you with the punch line. It’s always a funny punch line but if you were to doze off during the joke, you wouldn’t understand it at the end. He had a lot of sex jokes which I think are always the funniest.

After the show, Anabelle and I took our meet and greet passes and met the other greeters near the stage. We were taken outside where the guys were waiting. One by one the audience members got a chance to meet Shawn and Marlon, get an autograph, and take a picture if we had a camera. We were about ¾ towards the end of the line but it wasn’t a long wait. To my right, Damon Jr. passes us with 2 females asking if it’s okay for them to meet the guys and say hi. Both Shawn and Marlon obliged and a conversation begins. The crowd silently began to whisper in frustration because these 2 girls were now intruding on their time. As we waited, the couple in front of us told us that the 2 girls were (none other than) Hilary and Hailey Duff! Whoa! Anabelle and I fumbled around and wondered how we’d be able to get Hilary and Hailey Duff’s autograph and/or picture but still have enough time to get back into line considering we’re now second. Luckily, we were able to go ghetto and catch these images of Hilary Duff while they were all talking. However, because the concert promoter took our camera to give to the photographer, we weren’t able to get clear images of them, but we were cool with it, we were now up to meet Shawn and Marlon Wayans. We weren’t even rushed but the whole meeting felt like such a blur. It felt like it went by so fast. Anabelle was on Cloud 10 because she was placed in the middle of both guys for the picture, she got both of their autographs, and got to hug and kiss both Shawn and Marlon twice. Like I said, Cloud 10.

The entire evening was epic. It was a MACC experience unlike any other. Anabelle and I enjoyed the food from their newly built café, Anabelle had a chance to have a cocktail, we had some of the best seats in the house with lots of room on both sides, the show was awesome, we got a 2 for 1 by seeing the Duff sisters, and we got to meet Shawn and Marlon Wayans. The rest of the night all Anabelle and I talked about was our experience at the meet and greet. It’s 1 week later that I was finally able to finish this entry and the memory is still freshly plastered in our brains. Thank you to everyone who made the night possible, but a very special thank you to Shawn and Marlon Wayans, you made my girlfriend’s night. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment